Did you know that the original document chartering the Township of Bedminster, is owned by the Forbes Family of Bedminster.
The Olcott Avenue School, designed by noted New York architect Henry Janeway Hardenbergh (1847-1918), owned a large estate in Bernardsville. Considered by architectural historians to be one of the great architects of his time, Henry Janeway Hardenbergh (1847-1918) is most well known for his New York commissions, particularly the 1884 Dakota apartment building, the 1893 Waldorf and 1897 Astoria hotels, and, most famously, the 1907 Plaza hotel. The hotels he designed were considered at the time they were built to be the finest in the world and gave him a worldwide reputation.
Looking for something? Give the site search a try!
Open Daily 10-3pm -
May 1 thru May 31, 2014
It's called the "Mansion in May," a fundraiser to benefit an Expanded Pediatric Intensive Care Unit and New Autism Center at Goryeb Children's Hospital Morristown Medical Center.
Blairsden was the magnificent country home of C. Ledyard Blair, a New York City financier, sportsman and commodore of the New York Yacht Club. Designed and constructed between 1897 and 1903, this 62,000 - square-foot Louis XIV chateau-style mansion was the masterpiece of renowned architecture firm Carrère and Hastings and a favorite destination of New York City's elite during the Gilded Age.
Mansion In May is the preeminent designer showhouse in the New Jersey-New York area, attracting over 25,000 visitors. Since its inception in 1974, this signature fundraiser has raised over $8 million for worthwhile causes at Morristown Medical Center. The grandeur and historic significance of BLAIRSDEN allows us to support two causes to benefit the children of our community.
We encourage you to become involved and to support the fundraising efforts of the the Women's Association of Morristown Medical Center. Please follow the links below to find out how you can learn more.
Learn more about Blairsden and C. Ledyard Blair - Click Here
Comment on this post:
About The Brick Academy
The Brick Academy (also known as the Basking Ridge Classical Schoolhouse) is a 1809 Federal-style architectural structure located in the center of Basking Ridge in Bernards Township. The Brick Academy has been a boys’ private preparatory school, a public school, a meeting hall for several fraternal and benevolent organizations, and the Bernards Township municipal building. It currently serves as the headquarters of The Historical Society of the Somerset Hills, as well as a schoolhouse and museum to local history. The Brick Academy also celebrated its bicentennial in 2009.
About the Historical Society of the Somerset Hills (THSSH)
Founded in 1928 originally as the Historical Society of Basking Ridge, the mission and name of the society was later changed to The Historical Society of the Somerset Hills, a 501 (c) (3) non-profit organization including all five communities of the Somerset Hills region: Bedminster Township, Bernards Township, Bernardsville ,Far Hills, Peapack-Gladstone which are all located in Somerset County, New Jersey.
The mission of The Historical Society of the Somerset Hills (THSSH) is to acquire, conserve and share local artifacts and information on matters of local historic interest; cultivate interest in local history; encourage the preservation of local historic resources; facilitate historic research; and preserve, operate, and interpret the Brick Academy.
To further this mission, THSSH sponsors events and activities that promote community awareness and appreciation of the history and architecture of the Somerset Hills. THSSH headquarters is at the Brick Academy in the Basking Ridge section of Bernards Township, where our collections of items of local historic interest are available to the public.
the Brick Academy
The Historical Society
of the Somerset Hills
15 West Oak Street,
Basking Ridge, NJ 07920